Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Job Saga part 1

A little background info on my job... I love my job. I work for a telemarketing company with a new and very innovative way of doing telemarketing. My job is to build/program and manage the scripting software that the agents use. My boss and I agreed when I took the position that it needed to be flexible for my kids and that I would work mostly from home. It has worked out great, with the exception of a couple babysitter issues.
In April, I had decided that it was too difficult to work full time and be a mom to 2 crazy little boys, so I intended to ask my boss if I could cut back in the next couple of months to part time.

The day I went in to ask him, I chickened out because his boss was in and he intimidates me! The next day was a day I worked from home all day and just went in for an afternoon meeting. My boss asked me to come in early and told me not to worry, that this was a good thing. I was a nervous wreck because I didn't know what to expect or if I wanted this "good thing". When we met he asked me if I'd be willing to train some script developers in the Phillipines and then manage them as the company grows. I am always looking for a new challenge, and I wasn't prepared to turn down such an opportunity, so I accepted. The potential to grow in that position was extremely tremendous! I could stay with the company and advance as quickly and as much as I wanted if I accepted this position, so I did. I decided that life was good the way it was and I could handle it and so could my boys. Adam was just finishing school that month, so we'd have more time together and things would be good, and they were... Until July 21st....

My boys were going to a daycare 4 mornings a week (M-Th) just so they could have some time to socialize and get out of the house and I had a few hours to focus on work. The daycare provider (we'll call her 'Jane') also taught preschool, so it was great for Deegan, and she didn't have other daycare kids- just mine. She did this out of her home with her 4 kids as well (9 yrs, 7 yrs, 5 yrs, and 2 yrs old). She is highly qualified with a bachelors degree in elementary education and 8 yrs of preschool and daycare experience. I was happy and my kids were happy (90% of the time). After school got out for the summer and she wasn't doing preschool and her kids were all home, she got a little lax about things, and I tried to wait it out, knowing it was just a summer issue.

On Thursday, July 21, I drove in to the driveway with my windows down and heard a crying baby. The neighbor's car had just pulled in as well, so I assumed the crying was from there because it sounded a little distant. I walked up to the door and knocked and there was no answer. I knocked again and still no answer. Then it occured to me that maybe they were playing in the backyard and it WAS Griffin I heard. I walked back down the steps and around to the back of the house. As I got to the back fence (which consisted of cheap garden fencing and tree stake type poles) I saw Griffin alone on the back deck- Crying his heart out as he pounded on the sliding glass door. I wasn't sure what to do because the fence had no "gate" and I couldn't climb over it easilly, but I didn't want to leave him there while I went around front because the deck was more of a small landing with stairs down to the cement pad at the bottom. Griffin was still pretty unstable in his walking, so I knew that being upset if he turned around he'd just fall straight to the bottom. For a few seconds I tried to get his attention to try and calm him down so he could crawl down the stairs safely, but he didn't hear me. Just then the door slid open and the 9 year old girl grabbed him and took him in. She didn't see me, so I walked around to the front and knocked again. I didn't know what to think and was a little afraid that I was over reacting about something I only saw for a split second. When Jane answered the door, she was holding Griffin, who was still screaming. As I walked in and played dumb, I asked why he was crying. Jane's response was "I don't know, he's been so happy all day! He JUST started screaming a couple minutes ago!" I just said "Hmm" and continued putting his shoes on. Then she added, "...he was rubbing his eyes, so he's probably tired." Trying not to be quick to accuse, I said nothing. She must have felt my frustration because then she added "I was upstairs because Deegan had an accident and I was helping him change, so... something may have happened, but I'm not sure". That comment made me furious, and I just signed them out and left without saying much.

No comments: